Friday, July 11, 2008

long time, no blog

Yikes, it's been awhile.
I've been busy with the typical summer stuff... yard work, enjoying the sunshine, visiting family. And signing up to host a foreign exchange student for the 2008-2009 calendar year. I'm not quite sure what we were smoking at the time, but we have a big house with rooms just begging to be used, so we thought we'd give it a try. Our student will be coming from Germany and will arrive on August 15th, just in time for the Hanson family reunion, the poor thing. I really don't know what to do with a 17 year old teenager, but I guess we'll find out. Everybody keeps saying - just treat them like any other member of the family. But, besides me and Brad, our only family members are the dog and two cats. I don't think she would appreciate being crated while we're out of the house. But, on the other hand, I think she does come house-trained, so that's a bonus.
In the meantime, I decided to tackle the upstairs bathroom. The wallpaper was a HIDEOUS metallic gold & pink pattern. Upon removing the wallpaper, I discovered that they had applied it directly to the drywall without any paint or primer. So I spent a day stripping wallpaper, pulling off bits of drywall and sanding, then another day priming the walls, then another day filling the holes and getting the walls smoothed out. Hopefully tonight I can sand the mud and apply another coat of primer. From there I hope to be able to just fill the small stuff missed the first time and be ready to paint. We'll see. I had taken pictures to post, but now I can't find them. Sorry. They weren't very attractive pictures - just ugly wallpaper and scarred walls.



Jacob, my oldest nephew and godson, turns 4 on Sunday! Time goes so fast. I'm trying to finish up the quilt I've been making for his "big boy bed" for two years. I'm not sure it'll be done in time for his party on Saturday, but I'll give it a try. For now, Jacob's very happy with his "Cars" comforter, so I can't imaging that he'll want to switch that out for a stinky home-made quilt for a little while. But, when he grows up a little more, it will be ready for him.


These are the blocks that i'll put together into the facing of the quilt. The red in the upper left-hand corner of the picture is the cordurroy that i'll use for the border and backing (here's to hoping there's enough of it to go around!)




A very brave/stupid momma rabbit gave birth to 4 little bunnies in our back yard. Unfortunately, only 2 have survived this far. I think Dugan gives the little ones a heart attack. He is obsessed with them and always wants to watch them. I didn't get a very clear picture, but they're very very cute!



No comments: